Friday, May 21, 2010

Anne of Green Gables



Okay, so I NEVER ever check my blog, and I really should. My friends all have darling, hilarious, introspective blogs . . . so I figure I should at least put in the effort and write every once in a while. Just so instead of being a random, once-in-a-blue-moon sort of thing, it can be a more dependable way to check up on my life. (Boring part over.)

I've been reading Anne of Green Gables for the last few months, but the story started mirroring my life so perfectly (in an Edwardian kind of way, of course) that it creeped me out when she finally got engaged, because I've been a tad misogamic lately. I do not want to get married.

For those of you who know me, this is kind of hilarious, I know. I've been learning how to cook and clean, how to raise children, daydreaming about my future husband more than just about anyone of my acquaintance. Marriage has ALWAYS been a focus for me--a major goal. And now? I am at the point in my life where I can honestly contemplate making a decision that drastic. And it sounds AWFUL. It's amazing how when you're young you think you know everything, and the older you get, the less you know. I used to know just what I wanted in a husband. I had a whole list planned out, with desirable attributes ranked and matched up to features I had. If marriage were like nutrition, I could very possibly be an an extremely "well-balanced" diet right now. But since foods aren't the sum of their parts (as it says in 'In Defense of Food,' this awesome book I've been reading. I've kind of decided to "go granola" if you know what I mean.) this doesn't work. Eating vitamin A instead of carrots and pure protein instead of whole grains . . . just doesn't do it for you. I can't just get a guy that has all the traits I want--I need a person. A human being. We eat carrots for lots more reasons than vitamin A, and we haven't come close to discovering all of the benefits of this (seemingly) simple food. It's the same way with people. I can't just judge people based on their nutrients. I can never imagine all of the ways that person could affect me!

And yes, I realize it's mildly creepy that I'm comparing my husband criterion to food, but what else can I do? It's been on my mind.

About the whole "going granola" thing . . . I really meant it. I want to eat better. Just . . . fruits and veggies and whole grains and oatmeal and stuff. None of this food that has been so processed as to cease to resemble food. Plus, D&C says it's a good idea. And I love making whole wheat bread. :) w00t.

Okay, other news . . . uh . . . I've been heinously busy this spring semester. 20 hours of school, 25 hours of work a week . . . plans every single weekend, church activities and callings, writing a novel . . . basically dating has not been on the agenda, which is good. UNFORTUNATELY, I also haven't had much time to hang out with girlfriends, which leaves me sort of mopey all the time.

Sheesh. Will I ever get this whole "living" thing right? I always seem to forget something or botch something beyond repair.

At least I finally changed the background of my blog, right?

0 comments: